We all know that love is a miracle drug, but did you know that a hug is just as important?
There is a saying by Virginia Satir, a respected family therapist, “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.”
Whoa, I know I am definitely in the negative on the number of hugs I get a day. As of now, I can count one a day. 😜
Here are more compelling reasons why hugs are so crucial to our mental and overall health:
1. The nurturing touch of a trusted friend or a loved one hug builds a sense of safety.
2. Hugs instantly boost oxytocin levels, which heal feelings of loneliness, isolation, depression, anxiety, and anger.
3. When you hug someone for an extended time, it will lift your serotonin levels, elevating mood and creating overall happiness.
4. Hugging boosts self-esteem. As babies, our family’s touch shows us that we’re loved and special. The associations of self-worth from our early years are still in our nervous system as adults.
5. Hugs teach us about giving and receiving Allowing more of a selfless giving energy flow.
6. Hugs are like meditation and laughter. A hug allows us to be present and in the moment.
7. A hug allows you to get out of a mental dead-end head space and open you up to be more in touch with your feelings and emotions.
Sending a virtual hug to you all! 💋
Follow me on any of these social media links: